I am originally from Indiana, which is located in the Midwest.
Not only is Indiana the place where Steak 'n Shake is considered the greatest restaurant in the world, but Indiana is also widely known for its large contribution to the United States Agriculture. For the most part, Indiana grows corn and soybeans, but they also grow a lot of apples, pumpkins, cherries, squash, and many vegetables.
Last week, I took my yearly trip to Indianapolis where the Indiana State Fair was being hosted. Each year, the fair goes off a theme with this year being about Wonderful World of Food. Here in Indiana, we grow, sell, and cook a wide range of foods and at the fair is where we show off our stuff, but there are 50 other things to love about it.
1. Sarah Kaufman "The Cheese Lady" Cheese Sculpture
2. The Light Up the Night Parade around the Hoosier Lottery Grandstand
3. Band Day, where all the schools over the state come together to compete. Battle of the Bands anyone?
4. The "Always Popular" Favorite, the Cheerleading Competition
5. Indiana State Fair Championship Rodeo
6. The World's Largest Pigs and runner ups
7. The Monster Truck Madness
8. The cute litter of piglets and the mothers. Awwww!
9. Free popcorn from the Farm Bureau Building
10. The Midway arch way!
11. The Crowd Favorite Corn on the Cob
12. The Deep Fried Food, such as Fried Oreos
13. The Lights on the Giant Ferris Wheel
14. $2 Tuesdays! $2 entry and $2 selected food items throughout the fair
15. The Saddle Horses Showing in the Pop Weaver Youth Pavilion
16. The delicious elephant ears
17. The livestock Nursery
18. The amazing new Skyride going down Main Street.
19. Indiana Grown Marketplace
20. Hook's Drug Store Ice Cream Sodas and Sundaes
21. Turkey Legs... the mounds of Turkey Legs
22. The fair train from Fishers, Indiana to the State Fair
23. Krispy Kreme's Doughnut Burger! YUM
24. The Free Stage Concerts each night
25. Feeling like a proud Hoosier walking around the fairgrounds.
26. The kick off of the Giant Hot Air Ballon Race
27. Seeing who received awards for the best farming, animal, plant, you name it!
28. The freshly made corn dogs
29. The cooking demos every hour
30. Deciding which food items you are getting and in which order of importance
31. Taking home a bag of salt water taffy
32. Fried Vegetable bucket
33. Hoping on the Fair Train for $1
34. Hedrick's Racing Pigs
35. Learning the process of milking a cow properly
36. Window shopping the many hot tub models on display
37. Instagramming and snapping your way through the fair
38. Learning how agriculture impacts our lives every day
39. The Hunter's Honey booth in the Purdue Extension Building
40. Purchasing the large over priced root beer
41. Listening to the Hispanic band play covers of popular songs
42. Having fun at the fair with family and friends
43. The excitement of the kids have a ball in the Midway
44. Patting yourself on the back for wearing closed shoes through the animal exhibits because there's Poo everywhere)
45. Taking a selfie with the billy goats and llamas
46. Indiana local breweries and winery samples
47. Lining up for the new rides
48. Lemonade Shake-ups Souvenir Cups
49. Singing at the top of your lungs to a concert
50. Walking through the State Fair Gates
51. Eating funnel cake for dinner
52. The colorful parades and floats moving about
53. People-watching like its a sport
54. The only time the weather behaves with sunny rays and light clouds for shade.
55. Sirloin Tips Pita served with steak, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and creamy rustic mashed potatoes.
56. Watching and learning about the Early 1900s tractors demonstrations
57. Eating cotton candy as big as your head
All in all, if you haven't been to Indiana, the State Fair is a perfect excuse to go. From delicious foods to a homey feel you won't get anywhere else, the Indiana State Fair is a must-do.